Ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance is bliss. Is it? 

Came across this post today, and it got me thinking.

In a world full of people who are insufferable know-it-alls, it is indeed refreshing to meet up with some people who may not know, at least, a few things, and admit it too.

There was a time I used to follow the news diligently and read newspapers too. However, they were all about gore, violence and crime. Nothing sells better than macabre, the darker the story, the better the TRPs. These days, I avoid news altogether. I browse through major headlines and choose to read only that which may be useful for my work. Rest is garbage. Plus, I have found another way of getting my dose of news, talking to one of these know-it-alls. They will give you detailed analysis of every other current affairs as if they have done PhD in the subject. Seriously, I don't miss out much, and yet I remain ignorant to most of what I don't need to know. And, at times, if I do happen to miss out anything, I admit that I didn't know and learn about it. There is no shame in saying, "I don't know" rather than faking it all the way to finally falter as a bumbling idiot. 

I have seen people judging you for not knowing things or for not reading a particular bestseller or not knowing some super important personality. They name drop, use sentences loaded with jargons, and worst of all, rattle numbers as if they were born with an in-built calculator or better, a quantum computer! There was a time I felt hungry for knowing everything too. I had to catch up on the latest movie or series, read books by award-winning authors or follow every other trend on social media. 

Now, I am done. It is much more fun to be random. I still read, still watch stuff, still go through trends, but these are mostly random, whatever catches my fancy. And, I don't commit myself to these things as well. No pressure. I quit if I feel so. 

It is actually great not to fill up your head with too much of everything just to sound intelligent. How does it matter? To prove the point (instead of a music video today), I present to you a clip of the greatest detective in the world, with an incredibly high IQ and intelligence, admitting that he doesn't know or choose not to know that the Earth goes around the Sun.

See, you can remain blissfully ignorant. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions