Voice and melodies

Music is the only thing that makes any sense in this world. It just takes you to a place that is amazingly your own. Each song has a different meaning for a different person. Every song has its own mood. Then there are songs that are so powerful that it gives voice to some unspoken words or motivate the voiceless to speak up.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite songs with a voice:

Bol by Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan Coke Studio version. It’s an ode to the empowering poem of Faiz Ahmad Faiz.

Bol, ye thora waqt bahut hai, Jism o zabaan ki maut se pahle; Bol, ke sach zinda hai ab tak –Bol, jo kuchh kahna hai kah-le! 

What powerful lines. It literally translates to:

Speak, this little time is plenty I  Before the death of body and tongue: I Speak, for truth is alive- Speak, say whatever is to be said.

Heer toh badi sad hai from Tamasha movie. All the songs in this movie are beautiful, but this one is unique. A sad love ballad on a peppy tune. The lyrics are awesome and relatable.

Something Just Like this by The Chainsmokers and Coldplay. It’s such a down-to-earth song, in a world full of fanciful romance. Of course, I love superheroes, but this song brings me down to the bare requirements.

Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo by Farida Khannum. This song has been sung by so many, but the original version stays, with such a haunting tune. A glass of wine, rain outside your window and this song in the background – bliss!

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. What can you say of Pink Floyd. There was Bard, there was Mozart and then there was Pink Floyd! This song, however, always makes me look at my life choices and question them, whether I exchanged, “A walk-on part in the war For a leading role in a cage?”

The list of such songs is endless. Alas! I have to publish this blog now to meet the timeline. Maybe, will do another blog with a longer list. Till then, enjoy these.

Comments

  1. Pink Floyd are my all time favourite band and Wish You Were Here is a classic.

    Visiting from Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't kno many English songs...pink Floyd however is household name ...hyfive on heer to badi sad hai...peppy yet sad...every song of tamasha just hits u in right spots...bol and Aaj Jane ki zidd na karo all r amazing ...


    For me songs of rockstar are like magic..i play any time i get losyin words, voice and music

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions