Agree to disagree is such a farce

It is, isn't it? The dictionary says, it means, "to agree not to argue anymore about a difference of opinion." There you go, in the meaning itself, I have enough fodder for more disagreements.

It's basic human nature. If I know you don't like something and I am fond of it, I will try and use any argument in my arsenal to make you endorse my viewpoint. It's just the cheap thrill of winning someone over. 

Think about it. What will happen to Plato's art of persuasion and his entire 'gameplan' of Ethos, Pathos and Logos? How will the parliaments world over survive if we all 'respectfully' agree to disagree?

Have you ever seen two people saying, "Let's agree to disagree?" While the words are civil, their taunt handshake, clenched jaws and the almost blue faces deprived off oxygen tell a different story. 

Here, you are open to agree or disagree with my opinion. Of course, if we don't reach a logical conclusion, we can always "agree to disagree" 😉.



Comments

  1. “Agree to disagree” can work when you have enough emotional investment and other positives with the person to say “let’s not have this disagreement ruin our lives”.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions