Filter coffee

This is one of those random posts that you end up posting at the nth hour, because you are running late to meet your deadline for the day.

Why filter coffee? Well, the topmost word that comes to mind with the letter “F” is a highly censored one. Besides, at this hour I am thinking of coffee because my brain is completely fuzzy. My to-do for the day is not even half-done and I already have a foot-long to-do for the next day, which starts in precisely half-an-hour!

Anyway, filter coffee.

No darling, not a regular one or the fancy Starbucks variety, which I feel tastes all the same or maybe it’s just me. I still am not able to discern between the Nescafe vending machine coffee, Barista coffee and the great Starbucks ones. Also, what’s with this entire iPhone, iPad, Macbook and noise cancellation earphones paraphernalia at this coffee shop? Is that a dress code or a status symbol or do Apple and Bose pay a commission to Starbucks?

Anyway, filter coffee.

The first time I had filter coffee was when I was in Bangalore to join a nice MNC, just after a year after finishing my Masters. I had never lived out of my house before. It was a good offer and I literally wanted to run away from Delhi. Undermining myself, I got a cold feet at the nth moment. I reached the city, saw the swanky office and bolted away. The HR tried to convince me, but I wasn’t ready.

And, that’s when I discovered filter coffee.

I ordered one from my hotel room. It came in a small steel glass with a small bowl on top of it. I had no idea how to drink it, but figured out that this was to cool down the coffee, as it was piping hot, almost scalding the fingers.

As I took my first sip, the aroma filled my nostrils and I tasted pure coffee for the first time ever. It was love at that first sip! Love at a time when I had literally thrown my entire career down the drain and had no idea what I was going to do after getting back home. I guess, I had always been a prodigal child who gets a place at home, no matter what.

However, that day, I had at least five cups of filter coffee to let the bitterness in my tongue remind me of the bitterness within.

Comments

  1. I use a coffee maker that filters the coffee that I freshly grind from whole coffee beans each morning. I guess that's kind of what you're referring to. My wife and I both enjoy our morning coffee--one cup for her, two for me.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee plays such a vital role in our lives both social and psychological.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions