Keeping the drama alive

I am dramatic. I love drama. Anything larger than life, I am game. Maybe that's partly because my entire family loves drama too, literally. I mean my great-grandfather, grandfather, father, uncles, cousins and even my sister-in-law have acted in local plays. My father is still an integral part of a drama group in Delhi's Bengali society. Guess I get my creative gene from them.  

Yes, I do love simple things in life - the sunsets, rain, smell of the earth post the rainfall, the Amaltas laden Delhi roads, the moon, the stars - they all soothe my soul, especially in moments when I wish to be with myself. It feels as if these are part of me, it's a strange homecoming to be one with these beautiful elements of nature.  

Then again, there is life and it gets pretty boring without any drama in it, don’t you agree?  

I think, a family-reunion does not count to be a reunion unless there is one relative who becomes a party-pooper and tells everyone off for everything. He/She just doesn't like anyone or anything. Fun begins when you spike his/her drink! 

Vacation with friends has to have at least one embarrassing story that you can forever re-tell, and never drop it, even when that particular friend is married, with kids or even becomes a haggard old man/woman. 

And with your significant other, I think it has to be full-on drama, at every step of the way. Create drama even when there isn't one. How about labeling the dals (lentils) as - Rajma-e-phuljhari or Moog-e-anarkali? Won't that be royal, as you respond to the question, "What's for dinner?" Plus, surprise the shit out of them. Be frivolous, be wild, and don’t take each other seriously. There is always a banter waiting at the corner.  

Stop being boring. And, if nothing works, there is always the moon, the stars, the rain...  

(This post has lots of Indian context, which would have lost its essence in translation. Hope the readers still get a drift of it)

Comments

  1. I am an American and, believe me, we are over the top dramatic. Or is that melodramatic? I'm not sure, but we do tend to overact!!! (and that's in day to day life, not even in the theater)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theres no life with out drama in it ... Like some one described english version of rasam (south indian dish) -- some lentil soup tempered with ...this and that ;) I got gist of ur post

    Drama is essence of our lives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions