May I?

May I ask you

If you would give me the permission
To make you happy?

I don't wish to promise you 
That I won't fight with you
Nor do I want you to promise me
That you will get me
The stars or the moon
But I do want to assure you
That I will sit beside you
While you watch the crescent moon
On a clear starlit night.

I don't wish to be 
The damsel in distress 
Nor do I want you to be 
The knight in the shining armour 
But I do want to irritate you with 
My inane stupidities
And secretly love it
While you will roll your eyes
As you sit me down 
To tell me to think rationally 
Rather than emotionally.

I don't wish to go all out 
To please you
Nor do I want you 
To go beyond your means 
To buy me happiness
But I do want to 
Share a cosy corner with you
Where I can read my books in peace
While you cook your favourite 
White sauce pasta for dinner.

I don't wish to ask you 
Only existential questions
Nor do I want you to serenade me
With classical jazz
But I do want to give you
Handwritten notes saying sweet nothings
While you sing for me something cheesy
On your out-of-tune guitar.

I don't wish to lecture you
As you make the same mistake 
For the nth time
Nor do I want you to tell me off
For trusting some certified snakes
But I do want to hear you rant
As you get over your guilt
While you lend me your shoulders
To cry on.

I don't wish us to live a
Hashtag social media life
But I do want us to live through 
The various ups and downs 
Celebrating the successes
Mourning the losses
Together.

So, I ask you again

Would you give me the permission
To make you happy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions