Doppelganger

We do get this question a lot of time: Which character do you think you associate yourself with the most? While I didn't really put my head into it, but off-lately while trying to figure myself out I realised that there are these two famous people/characters that come very close to defining me.

Who are they? Carrie Bradshaw from ‘Sex and the City’ and Twinkle Khanna.

While I associate the most with Carrie, Twinkle gives that desi flavour to my character.

Carrie is like my soulmate, my image in the mirror. A writer, and an independent woman, she is funny, goofy and often lost in her own world. She tries to see good in everything, and yet has a threshold for bullshit too. When she says enough is enough, she means it. Her brand of humour is mine too. Funny, sarcastic and with loads of intelligent puns. And, she knows what to filter out and how. Then there is Mr. Big in her life, someone she often runs away from because he clearly challenges her to face her fears and emotional needs. But when she loves, she loves with her whole heart and goes all out, but is goofy enough to turn even Big's life upside down. She looks mature, acts mature, but only her close circle people know how 'mature' she really is! I can totally get that.

Twinkle Khanna, however, is another story. I really took notice of her after I saw her on ‘Koffee with Karan’, and I went like, "She is just like me." Not in appearance, but her opinions, thought process, craziness. There had been a lot that I could identify myself with. And then there is her brand of writing, I absolutely love what she writes because I can associate with the way she must have observed things to write about them. Though she is a bit brash and unfiltered, she defiantly is me when it comes down to being opinionated.

But it's not just about them being my doppelganger. These successful women also inspired me to really look within myself, to tell myself that I also have such similar qualities that I can explore to reach at the zenith. And that's when I started to really go for what I wanted to do – whether it was about fulfilling at least one crazy goal each month this year (which included remaining single for a whole month!), working against deadlines, starting with my book, speaking my mind, or being on my own – I went the Nike way – Just Do It. It did require a lot of courage to push myself from my set boundaries, but there has always been this motivating factor that if Carrie and Twinkle could be household names, so could be I become one day. Yes, there are still 'miles to go', but my journey has begun thanks to these wonderful women – Carrie Bradshaw and Twinkle Khanna.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apology is just saying ‘I am sorry!’

Badrinath Ki Dulhania…A great movie on clichés

Questions